Southwest Louisiana Area Health Education Center has an opening for a full time MIECHV Clerical / Administrative Assistant in the Lake Charles area. This position is under the direct supervision of the MIECHV Nurse Supervisor and functions to assist the MIECHV home visiting teams in a designated region by performing essential administrative and clerical functions.
High school graduate, knowledge of web-based systems, and at least 2 years clerical experience (degree/certification in related field may substitute for experience).
● (30%) Proficiently utilizes the Efforts to Outcomes (ETO) Data Collection System in order to manage program data appropriately. This includes data entry and generation of reports for tracking of family characteristics, needs, services providers, and progress toward accomplishing program objectives. Provides data entry, billing and reporting for programmatic funding sources. This requires knowledge of the web based system as well as the policies, procedures and regulations governing applicable funding sources.
● (25%) Prepares correspondence relative to administrative activities. Assists in monitoring budget and advises supervisor of budget status. Analyzes and prepares detailed reports on any phase of organizational activity, including recommendations for revising procedures to improve operations.
● (15%) Communicates with other program members to keep staff informed of administrative decisions and matters of policy. Schedules conferences and meetings and takes or transcribes minutes of meetings. Performs a variety of administrative tasks such as organizing appointment calendar, screening visitors and telephone calls by answering or referring routine questions. Makes travel arrangements for members of home visiting teams.
● (15%) Performs administrative support activities such as maintaining files and central records, printing and duplication services, regular inventory and purchasing of supplies and equipment, and preparation of client service reimbursement, payroll and personnel records in parishes. Utilizes personal vehicle for routine travel to assist home visitors in the parishes with data entry and photocopying of materials to be used during visits.
● (10%) Sorts and routes mail to proper divisions and compose correspondence not requiring attention of the Nurse Supervisor. Attends and participates in program staff meetings as appropriate.
● (5%) Accepts and performs additional duties not listed in job description to ensure smooth agency operation. Attends scheduled workshops and/or training meetings that are designed to maintain proficiency or increase knowledge.
To apply please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Southwest Louisiana Area Health Education Center has an opening for a full time Maternal and Child Health (MCH) Regional Coordinator in the Lafayette area. RN/BSN/extensive experience reading medical records required, along with a passion for injury prevention, health equity, and public health policy. To apply please send cover letter and resume to Sheila.Robinson@LA.GOV.
PUBLIC HEALTH NUTRITION EDUCATOR
FUNCTION OF WORK: To assist the WIC (Women, Infants and Children) professional staff by providing basic information to program participants regarding program guidelines, use of vouchers, and nutrition education as well as monitoring WIC vendor compliance.
LOCATION OF WORK: Lafayette Parish Health Unit – WIC Program
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
EXAMPLES BELOW ARE A BRIEF SAMPLE OF COMMON DUTIES ASSOCIATED WITH THIS JOB TITLE. NOT ALL POSSIBLE TASKS ARE INCLUDED.
- Educates WIC program participants and/or primary caretakers regarding general nutrition, the purpose of the WIC program, participation guidelines and patient rights, the rationale for specific food items in the voucher/draft packages, use of the food vouchers/drafts, and the value of breast-feeding.
- Surveys seasonal availability, supply and cost of food to assist clients in planning and preparing healthful meals within a budget.
- Exhibits nutrition education materials on bulletin boards by use of posters and displays WIC food items, pamphlets, etc. throughout the patient flow areas of the health unit.
- Purchases and prepares food items listed on the WIC drafts using approved recipes for demonstrations and tasting sessions to introduce innovative ways of serving the foods.
- Plans lessons and provides direct basic nutrition education to individual WIC Program participants; documents in the medical record the specific lesson provided, relevant handouts and recipes, and plans for other nutrition education topics based on observed or stated needs.
- Schedules and conducts shopping trips to WIC vendors with program participants who need special assistance.
- Conducts federally mandated vendor monitoring of Louisiana WIC approved vendors by: Visiting the stores to document the inventory for compliance with minimum stock levels of approved WIC foods; Assuring adherence to WIC Food Instrument redemption procedures; Providing training to management and cashier staff regarding food packaging changes or any policy changes relative to WIC Food Instrument redemption; Securing a vendor or designated staff signature; Gathering information regarding grocer/patient complaints or allegations of fraud; Forwarding information to the Vendor Manager in the Nutrition Services central office in the Office of Public Health.
- Keep up to date returned formula inventory log book.
- Prepares monthly nutrition education activity reports and conducts an annual patient survey for the WIC program evaluation.
- Distributes posters, flyers and pamphlets to encourage participation in the WIC program and documents these activities in the quarterly outreach report.
- Refers WIC participants to other food, health and social assistance programs in the area.
- Contacts participants (by phone, letter, or home visits) immediately following a missed appointment for re-scheduling to maintain WIC participation levels.
- Participates in continuing education activities such as quarterly and statewide workshops presented by Nutrition Services.
- Performs Laboratory duties collecting anthropometrics and hemoglobin levels from WIC participants.
- Perform clerical duties as needed for certification/recertification of WIC participants.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: One year of clerical, health related public contact, food service, or extension service work.
SUBSTITUTIONS: College training may be substituted for the required experience on the basis of thirty semester hours for the one year of experience.
Vocational training in a dietetic assistant curriculum at a recognized vocational school may be substituted for the required experience on a month for month basis.
If you are interested in this position please email cover letter and resume to Traci.email@example.com by February 28, 2018.
Title of the Position: Registered Dietitian (Region 5 – Lake Charles area)
Full Time: 40 hours/week M-F
Company Name: Southwest Louisiana Area Health Education Center (AHEC)
Name of Contact Person: Greg Cart
How to apply: Email or Fax Resume
Contact Name: Greg Cart
Contact Fax: (337) 478-0124.
Contact Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website address to apply http://swlahec.com/
Position Description: Complete nutrition assessments for WIC participants, nutrition care plans, certifies and recertifies participants, prescribes and prints food packages, reviews/evaluate prescriptions for approval of WIC special formula. Participates in breastfeeding promotions and other WIC sponsored activities throughout the year. Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum qualifications:
- Registered Dietitian
- Possession of a permanent La Dietitian/Nutritionist license
For additional information you may contact:
Dan Morel, RD, LDN
Regional Public Health Nutritionist 5
LDH/OPH Southwest Regional Office
SWLAHEC has immediate opening for a part-time Mental Health Consultant in the Lake Charles area. Job responsibilities include providing consultation to child care centers enrolled in the State of Louisiana’s Quality Start program, conducting seminars with staff, observing classrooms, modeling techniques, and meeting with parents. Consultants must have the ability to conceptualize a variety of cases including challenging behavior, attachment problems, developmental delays or other mental health problems, relationship difficulties etc. They must be accountable for all required documentation of services & contacts.
Masters or Ph.D. in Counseling, Social Work, Counseling Psychology or closely related field; Appropriate licensure to practice mental health counseling is preferred. Applicants must be license eligible in the state of LA and have specialized training in infant mental health or be able to complete training, and must be able to form working relationships w/ center staff, children, & families.
Experience: 2 years clinical experience w/children & adults preferred; knowledge of child development & child care practices preferred.
Reliable transportation and computer/laptop are required.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Greg Cart, email@example.com.